This past year we’ve raised $95 for the Women’s Sexual Assault Centre of Renfrew County (WSAC)
Katrina feels very passionately about the amazing work of this important charity. She donates 100% of proceeds from any speaking engagements to WSAC. Katrina offers speaking engagements to business and community groups on any health topic(s) of interest. Help us make this number even bigger for 2014!
Katrina also had the chance to attend a vigil WSAC recently hosted on December 6th, 2013, National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women, at the Women’s Monument at the Emerald Necklace trail head in Petawawa.
Here is some information about the important work that WSAC does
- WSAC is currently celebrating 21 years of supporting women in Renfrew County
- They provide services to survivors of both recent and historical sexual violence
- They provide those services in a number of ways: a 24/7 crisis line , one on one support, accompanying women to court, to the police station or to the hospital, and advocacy work
- They have a lending library
- They are available for workshops and presentations in a variety of settings
- They are volunteer-based, with extensive training provided
- They actively reach out to the LGBTQ community. There are no other designated services in Renfrew County
- They take part in community activism through such events as the Vagina Monologues, Seniors Monologues International Women’s Day, Take Back the Night – A yearly event that supports the idea that women should be allowed to walk alone at night without fear, International Day Against Homophobia, and hosting Lunafest – A film festival involving a series of short films put out each year for/ by women
- They interact with community partners county-wide to ensure that the best possible services are available
WSAC is entering their 21st year of service to the Women of Renfrew County, and they must replace their 21 year old phone system at a cost of approximately $4,700. Any money donated will go towards the new phone system, and tax receipts are available for any donation. Click here for more information about how to donate to WSAC.
For more information about booking Katrina as your next guest speaker, feel free to call us at 613-631-0137 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Originally published in the Valley Naturopath clinic newsletter January 2014.Related to: fundraiser . guest speaking . women's health . Women's sexual assault centre . women's sexual assault centre of renfrew county . WSAC