Mental health and addiction – naturopathic approaches
There are many different approaches that Naturopaths can offer their patients with mental health and addiction issues. These include short term relief of cravings or symptoms, and long-lasting skills and more helpful coping mechanisms that can allow you to “kick the habit” or resolve your symptoms for good.
Naturopathic approaches to mental health and addiction issues include
- Ear acupressure / ear seeds – little seeds taped at various locations on the ears. In traditional chinese medicine (TCM) the ear is considered a map of the body. Stimulating specific points can be helpful to help with mental health and / or addiction related concerns
- Ear acupuncture – this approach is similar to ear seeds or ear acupressure, but it involves the insertion of very fine sterile single-use needles shallowly, to stimulate various points on the ear
- Herbal remedies – to decrease cravings, decrease anxiety, improve sleep, or address depression
- Nutritional foods or supplements – to address symptoms, cravings, nutrient depletions or neurotransmitter imbalances
- Simple, practical dietary and lifestyle advice – we meet you where you are at, and work with you to develop a more supportive everyday routine
- Basic counseling techniques – naturopathic doctors are trained in basic counselling techniques
- Mindfulness-based approaches – including stress reduction techniques
- Addressing health concerns – that could be contributing to mental health and addiction issues
- Homeopathic medicines – dilute medicines that stimulate the body’s natural ability to heal itself
For more information, feel free to call, email or come in for a free introductory visit.
Originally published in the Valley Naturopath clinic newsletter October 2013
Related to: addiction . auricular acupuncture . basic counseling . chronic illness . diet and lifestyle . ear acupressure . ear acupuncture . ear seeds . herbal remedies . homeopathy . mental health . mindfulness . naturopath . naturopathic medicine . nutrition